Wednesday, November 2, 2011

the week behind : in food : October 30 - November 5

Bleu Cheese dressing - Martha's Good Food Fast book. I'm the first to admit that not all her recipes are keepers and I know it also depends on the quality of the products you use. Recipe was 'ok', will keep working on other salad dressings, man they are SO easy! And if you're trying new ones and not sure if they'll be tasty or not, you only have to make a little bit and you're not left with a gooey bottle of muck.

Crackers - I used some whole wheat flour and white flour and experimented by making bigger crackers. The kids helped me cut them and we ended up with some funky shapes, but they taste great! I added more salt to the top when I rolled it out and I think it still needs a little more.

Dessert crumble topping - from an old Cooks Illustrated article my mum copied and sent me. Whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, a stick of butter, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. It's great to have this in a large refrigerated jar, ready for action should I want to throw frozen fruit or apple slices in a dish and have a hot dessert ready for a cold evening. Doubles as a tasty muffin topping too!

No comments: