Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Two dogs

I read a quote featured on Fields and Fire's blog that makes my daily choices, when dealing with various situations, much more visceral than I've realized..

I recently ran across a story about a Native American tribal leader describing his own inner struggles.  He said, "There are two dogs inside me.  One of the dogs is mean and evil.  The other dog is good.  The mean dog fights the good dog all the time."  Someone asked him which dog usually wins, and after a moment's reflection, he answered, "The one I feed the most."

-Rabbi Harold S. Kushner


We make many choices each day to give over our energy, or feed the dogs.  Which dog we decide to feed is a wonderful visual to have pop into my head when I find myself at those crossroads.  Let's just say that the good dog's more plump than the mean and evil dog these days.

No comments: